Of course there are some limitations at the moment. It's a subtler gradient as no one has come up with color changing magnetic polish yet (now there's an idea, anyone?) The gradient is a bit more obvious in real life than the photos and video but it does depend on the lighting and angle as to how noticeable it is. Even when you can't see the gradient however, the polish gives an almost 3-d jewel effect that is still gorgeous. Hovering the magnet near the freshly painted nail smooths out the streaks left by the brush.
Here is how I did it and the effect:
- 2 or 3 coats give the most noticeable gradient
- use the first coats to practice
- hover the magnet 1/2 - 1 inch (1-2.5 cm) away, depending on its strength
- try holding the magnet at the end or on top of the nail to see what works best with your polish
- keep the magnet away from the nails that haven't dried
- it's best to find the "sweet spot" and not move the magnet around too much